1852 - 1908 H.E. Mwami Mwezi IV Gisabo Bikata-Bijoga, Sultan and Mwami of Burundi. b. at Mugera, ca. 1840, son of Ntare IV Rutaganzwa Rugamba, Mwami of Burundi, by his wife, Mwamikazi Vyano, daughter of Ndabazi of the Mwenengwe clan. Succeeded on the death of his father, 1852. Reigned under the Regency of his elder half-brother, Prince Ndivyariye, until he came of age and assumed full powers, 1860. Received the explorers Burton and Speke in 1858, and Livingstone and Stanley in 1870. Accepted a German Protectorate over his realm in 1884 and saw its incorporation into German East Africa 1st July 1890. Granted the title of Sultan of Burundi with the style of His Excellency, 8th October 1905. m. (first) Mwamikazi Inabamoso [Wamkundo], a lady of the family of Wanukundo, of the Mukundo clan. m. (second) Inabisenge, of the Mwengwe clan. m. (third) Inabakuza, of the Mwenengwe clan. m. (fourth) Inabirege [Ninavisenge], of the Mwenengwe clan. m. (fifth) Musaniwabo [Nsanzurwimo], daughter of Vitahwa, of the Watussi Munyakarama clan. m. (sixth) Inabantu [Ninawantu], daughter of Nyamatega, of the Bunyakarama clan. m. (seventh) Mwamikazi Nidi Ririkumutima Bizama hitanzimiza Mwezi (d. at Gitega, 28th July 1917), she served as Regent 30th November 1915 to 28th August 1929, third daughter of Chief Sekawonyi, of the Watussi Munyakarama clan, by his wife, Inankinso. m. (eighth) Inarwimo [Nsanzurwimo], daughter of Chief Ntaho of the Watussi Munyakarama clan, by his wife, Vissanintore, daughter of Chief Katamba. m. (ninth) Simbashiramakenga [Zirayuka]. m. (eleventh) Gihambare [Kikeyuke], of the Muhangodo clan. m. (twelfth) Mwamikazi Ntibanyiha Bizama hitanzimiza Mwezi (k. by Ririkumutima, August 1908), née Vyano, of the Bunyakarama clan. m. (twelfth) Inasize [Inasenge]. m. (thirteenth) Inagahimbawe (d.s.p.?), of the Watussi Munyakarama clan. m. (fourteenth) Kikeyuke (Bitamo?). He d. at Ruvumu, 21st August 1908, having had issue, twenty-five sons and twenty-two daughters:
1) Umuganwa mwezi Inyangongo. b. ca. 1853 (s/o Inabamoso). He was k. ca. 1893, having had issue, six sons:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Mugero. He d. 1933, having had issue, a son:
i) H.E. Umuganwa mwezi Ildephonse Libakare. b. 1930, educ. Groupe Scolaire, Astrida. Chief of Butamenwa 1959, Minister for Commerce and the Economy 1962-1964. m. Umuganwakazi ntare Marie-Immaculé Baranyanka, daughter of Umuganwa ntare Pierre Baranyanka, Paramount Chief of Ngozi. He had issue, a son:
(1) Umuganwa mwezi Patrick Baranyanka. b. at Ixelles, Belgium, 4th February 1963. Changed his surname from Libakare to Baranyanka by Royal Decree in Belgium 8th August 1997. Proprietor International Trading Services (ITS) in Monaco. m. 31st July 1989, Fatou Kiné Diouf Baranyanka (b. at Dakar, Senegal, 31st May 1964), Dir Kayanza SARL (Monte Carlo) 2005. He had issue, two sons and two daughters:
(a) Umuganwa mwezi Pierre Fara Baranyanka. b. at Washington DC, USA, 14th June 1992, educ. Inst Le Rosey, Rolle, Switzerland, John Cabot Univ (BA 2013), Trastevere, Rome, Italy, and The American Univ of Paris, France. Intern at Haitian Embassy, Rome 2010, Head of Sales & Marketing Megaburger Italia 2012-2013, Snr Partner rHome 2012-2014, Jnr Analyst MB Asset Management 2014, Marketing Ambassador for France with Bumble & Bumble since 2015.
(b) Umuganwa mwezi Jean-Yerim Baranyanka. b. at Paris, France, 6th January 2000.
(a) Umuganwakazi mwezi Madjiguene Shariza Baranyanka. b. at Neuilly sur Seine, France, 16th September 1990, educ. Inst Le Rosey, Rolle, Switzerland, the Univ of International Business & Economics (UIBE), Beijing, China, and Duke Univ (BA 2014), Durham, North Carolina, USA. Special Assist to the Ambassador of Haiti in Italy 2010, Private Equity Analyst with SMC Capital China since 2015.
(b) Umuganwakazi mwezi Iriza Minielle Baranyanka. b. at Washington DC, USA, 31st October 1997.
b) Umuganwa mwezi Sebiriti. He had issue, a son:
i) Umuganwa mwezi Antoine J. Kikoro. Chief of Matana, Ngozi, and Ijeri 1959. m. Thérése Ntirandekura. He had issue, one son and two daughters:
(1) Umuganwa mwezi François Habarugira Kikoro, educ. in Burundi and Switzerland. m. Gisele Gahwa. He was k. during the attempt to free the King from the Ibwami, Gitega, 29th April 1972, having had issue, an only son:
(a) Umuganwa mwezi Irlich Habarugira.
(1) Umuganwakazi mwezi Thérése Kikoro Nizigiyimana. Settled in Holland. m. Umuganwa mutare Eugène Nsabimbona, sometime Dir of Cabinet in the Social Affairs Ministry, son of Umuganwa mutare Pierre Ruragaragaza. She had issue, six children.
(2) Umuganwakazi mwezi Jeanne-d'Arc Kikoro. She has issue, two sons and one daughter.
2) Umuganwa mwezi Sebudandi (s/o Inabamoso). m. Nawarifa, fourth daughter of Chief Sekawonyi, of the Watussi Munyakarama clan. He d. at Vyanda, 1907, having had issue, five sons:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Kagunge.
b) Umuganwa mwezi Somasoma.
c) Umuganwa mwezi Ndugu. MCK 1921. He had issue, a son:
i) Umuganwa mwezi Joseph Nyambikiwe. Chief of Tanganyika 1959.
d) Umuganwa mwezi Pierre Ndarishikije. Chief of Bututsi 1959.He had issue, a son and a daughter:
i) H.E. Umuganwa mwezi Lorgio Nimubona. Minister for Foreign Affairs 1962-1963. He was k. accidentally, 1963.
ii) Umuganwakazi mwezi Mélanie Sinduhije. m. H.E. Albin Nyamoya (b. at Ibuye, Mwumba, Ngozi Province, 27th July 1924; d. 31st January 2001), educ. Groupe Scolaire d'Astrida, Butare, Rwanda, Veterinary Assist. at Muyinga, Bururi, Canzuko, Ngozi, and Astrida 1945-1961, MNA for Muyinga 1961-1966 and for Ngozi 1982-1987, Minister for Agriculture 1961-1963 & 1070-1971, the Interior and Information 1963-1964 & 1972-1973, Prime Minister 1964-1965 & 1972-1973, Insp-Gen. Ministry of Agriculture 1966-1968, Dir-Gen. 1968-1970, rcvd: Cdr. National Order of Patriotic Merit (1985). She had issue, ten children.
e) Umuganwa mwezi Hararawe.
3) Umuganwa mwezi Nsomwankewuku Mahinga (s/o Inabisenge). He d. ca. 1907, having had issue, three sons and a daughter:
a) A daughter. m. Chief Musagarra, son of Chief Ssewugandika, by his wife, Umuganwakazi mwezi Muhutukasi, daughter of H.H. Mwezi IV Gisabo Bikata Bijogu, Mwami of Burundi, by his wife, Ninawantu.
4) Umuganwa mwezi Kisyogori [Kijogori] (s/o Inabisenge). He d. 1908, having had issue, three sons:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Shebiagara.
b) Umuganwa mwezi Makitaki.
c) Umuganwa mwezi Ruhande.
5) Umuganwa mwezi Ntahushira Ruhwiza [Rugwisa Ntahushirwa] (s/o Inabisenge). He had issue, one son:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Basharwe.
6) Umuganwa mwezi Setoborwa (s/o Inabakuza). m. (first) Inamakatwa, daughter of Chief Shuri. m. (second) a daughter of Chief Sekawonyi. m. (third) Musamabuki. He d. at Kihanga, 1902, having had issue, four sons by his first, one son by his second, and one daughter by his third wife:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Bigeni (s/o Inamakatwa).
b) Umuganwa mwezi Kavuyumbo (s/o Inamakatwa).
c) Umuganwa mwezi Antoine Nyenama (s/o Inamakatwa). MCK 1921. He had issue:
i) Umuganwa mwezi Pierre Ndamvya. b. 1915. Governor of Bujumbura 1963-1964. m. a niece of Umuganwa ntare Pierre Baranyanka, Paramount Chief of Ngozi.
i) Umuganwakazi mwezi Régine Kamariza. m. (first) (div.) Umuganwa ntare Jean-Baptiste Ntakiyica (b. 1931; d. 15th January 1963), sometime Secretary of State, second son of Umuganwa ntare Antoine Ntakiyica, Chief of Buhumuza, by his wife, Colette Inabunwa. m. (second) ... She had issue, one son and three daughters by her first husband - see above.
e) Umuganwa mwezi Bohindikitero (s/o the second wife).
a) Umuganwakazi mwezi Muhirwa (d/o Musamabuki). m. Rukekeza, son of Mutatuzi.
7) Umuganwa mwezi Setakwa Mafyuguru Matsum [Macumu] (s/o Inabakuza). He was k. in battle, having had issue, a son:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Mafyuguru. He had issue, a son:
i) Umuganwa mwezi MaBishimbakutra.
8) Umuganwa mwezi Ngumidzye [Ngumije] (s/o Inabakuza). He had issue, two sons:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Bazaicha.
b) Umuganwa mwezi Ndirwambarirwa.
9) Umuganwa mwezi Mayabu [Mayabo] (s/o Inaberege). He had issue, a son:
a) Umuganwa mwezi Bagorikunda. He had issue, a son:
i) H.E. Umuganwa mwezi Léopold Bihumugani [Léopold Biha]. b. 1919, educ. Groupe Scolaire d'Astrida, Butare, Rwanda. Presdt. UPRONA 1957-1959, Chief of Muramvya 1959-1962, Private Sec. to the King 1962-1965, Prime Minister 1965-1966. He d. 1st March 2003, having had issue, twelve sons and eight daughters:
(1) Umuganwa mwezi Moise Biha.
(2) Umuganwa mwezi Emmanuel Biha. A close companion and adviser to King Ntare V, who accompanied him on his fateful return journey from Kampala to Bujumbura in 1972.
(3) Umuganwa mwezi André Biha. b. 1946. MNA 1999-2005, Senator for Muramvya since 2005. Mbr. Alliance nationale pour le changement (ANAC) 1999, CNDD-FDD, etc.
(4) Umuganwa mwezi Fidèle Biha.
(5) Umuganwa mwezi Samson Biha. m. (a) Illuminata Mukayirege, by whom he has issue, one son
(a) Umuganwa mwezi Yves Biha. b. at Brussels, Belgium, 15th April 1977.
(7) Georges Nicolas Bihumugani. Settled in Canada.
10) Umuganwa mwezi Muhitira (s/o Inaberege). He d. young.
11) Umuganwa mwezi Ntarugerijanja [Ntarugera] Serushanya. b. ca. 1868 (s/o Musaniwabo). Junior Regent 30th November 1915 to 24th June 1921. He d. at Gitega, 24th June 1921, having had issue, twelve sons and several daughters, including:
f) Umuganwa mwezi Antoine Bakareke. MCK 1921, Chief of Bweru 1959. He had issue, three sons:
i) Umuganwa mwezi Raphael Bashirahishize, educ. Groupe Scolaire d'Astrida, Butare, Rwanda.
ii) H.E. Umuganwa mwezi Joseph Mbazumutima. b. 11th April 1937, educ. Groupe Scolaire d'Astrida, Butare, Rwanda. Sec. to King Mwambutsa IV, Grand Marshal of the Court 1963-1964, Minister for Foreign Affairs 1964, Presdt. Banque du Royaume 1965-1966, Ambassador to the USSR.
iii) H.E. Umuganwa mwezi Gaspard Nkeshimana, educ. Groupe Scolaire d'Astrida, Butare, Rwanda. Chief of Bweyerezi 1959, MNA 1961-1963, Minister for Social Affairs 1962 & 1965-1966, Grand Marshal of the Court 1962-1963 and 1966, Senator 1966. He had issue:
(1) Umuganwa mwezi Grégoire Nkeshimana. Vice-Presdt. Supreme Court and Presdt. Court of Appeal since 2006. m. Clotilde Niragira (b. at Karuzi, 1966), educ. Univ. of Burundi, Bujumbura (Lic. En Droit 1995), Minister for Justice and Keeper of the Seals since 2005.
(2) Umuganwa mwezi Germain Nkeshimana. Chief of Staff to the Presdt. of Burundi 2004, Ambassador to Russia, Poland, Romania 2007.
(3) Umuganwa mwezi André Nkeshimana. b. 1961. Settled in the Netherlands. Presdt. Assoc. Burundaise IZERE. m. (first) m. (second) Jacqueline Ndayahundwa (b. 1963). He had issue, five children: