1897 - 1915 H.H. Maharana Shri Sir Chhatrasinhji Gambhirsinhji Sahib, Raja of Rajpipla, KCIE (12.12.1911). b. at Nandod, 18th December 1862, eldest son of H.H. Maharana Shri Gambhirsinhji Verisalji Sahib, Raja of Rajpipla, educ. Rajkumar Coll, Rajkot. Served as a magistrate and revenue officer before his accession. Succeeded on the death of his father, 10th January 1897. Installed on the gadi at the Fort, Rajpipla, 20th May 1897. Instrumental in saving thousands of lives during the epic famines of 1899-1902, granting famine relief during this period amounting to nearly Rs 8 lakhs. Visited England and Europe in 1897, 1904, 1906, 1909, and 1911. Rcvd: Diamond Jubilee medal (1897), Delhi Durbar gold medals (1903 and 1911), and Coron medal (1911). m. (first) at Wankaner, H.H. Wankanerwala Maharani Shri Phool Kunverba Sahiba (d. Chattra Niwas Palace, Nandod, 20th November 1920), elder daughter of Maharana Raj Shri Banesinhji Jaswantsinhji Sahib, Maharana Raj Sahib of Wankaner. m. (second) H.H. Maharani Shri Sardar Kunverba Sahiba (d. before 1911), second daughter of Rajaji Maharaol Shri Jitsinhji Maansinhji Sahib, Raja of Chhota Udepur. m. (third) H.H. Maharani Shri Manhar Kunverba Sahiba (d. at Nandod, 24th April 1958), daughter of Mahida Shri Durjansinhji, of Chandod, Baroda. He d. suddenly, at Poona, 26th September 1915, having had issue, four sons and four daughters:
1) H.H. Maharana Shri Sir Vijaysinhji Chhatrasinhji
Sahib, Maharaja of Rajpipla (s/o Wankanerwala Maharani) - see below.
2) Maharaj Shri Champaksinhji Chhatrasinhji Sahib. b. at Chattra Niwas Palace, Nandod, 26th April 1900, educ. Panchgani High Sch and Rajkumar Coll, Rajkot. Rcvd: Delhi Durbar silver (1911), and Coron (1937) medals. m. at Nandod, 1924, Rani … Sahiba, the second daughter of Rana Shri Gulabsinhji Gamalsinhji, of Pratappur. He d. 9th July 1969, having had issue, two sons and two daughters:
a) Major Rajkumar Shri Virendrasinhji Champaksinhji. b. at Chattra Niwas Palace, Nandod, educ, Mayo Coll, Ajmer. Maj 129 AD Regt, IA. He had issue, a son:
i) Kumar Premjitsinhji Virendrasinhji [Premjit V. Gohel]. b. 1957, educ. Maharaja Sayajirao Univ of Baroda. Engineer with New York Dept of Transport. Settled in Poughkeepsie, New York, USA. m. Anuradha Gohel (b. 1961), née Sharma. He has issue, one son:
(1) Bhanwar Jaysinh Premjitsinhji. b. 1996.
b) Rajkumar Shri Jaideepsinhji Champaksinhji.
a) Rajkumari Bapu Raja Bharati Devi Sahiba [Thakuraniji Bharati Devi Sahiba, of Dundlod]. m. at Nandod, April 1947, Lieutenant-Colonel Thakur Raghubir Singhji, of Dundlod (b. at Bera House, Jaipur, 19th March 1920; d. February 2013), educ, Mayo Coll, Ajmer, and Indian Staff Coll, Wellington, cmsnd. 2nd-Lieut Jaipur State Forces, served with Jaipur Lancers, Rajendra Hazari Guards, Kacchawa Horse, Gwalior Lancers, and 61st Cavalry IA, served in WW2 in Western Desert and N. Africa, served in Jammu & Kashmir 1948, Military Sec to the Rajpramukh of Rajasthan 1949-1956, rcvd: Jaipur MSM 1st class, 39/45 & Africa Stars, British War and India Service medals, etc, second son of Rawal Shri Harnath Singhji Bahadur, Thakur of Dundlod, under Jaipur, by his wife, Rani Sireh Kanwar Sahiba, daughter of Rao Bahadur Thakur Shri Sheonath Singh, Thakur of Bera, under Jodhpur. She had issue, two sons and two daughters.
b) Rajkumari Bapu Raja Veena Devi Sahiba [Kumarani Veena Devi Sahiba]. m. Kumar Shri Jaisinhji Banesinhji Jhala, son of Kumar Shri Banesinhji Jaswantsinhji Jhala, MBE, of Wadhwan, sometime Dewan of Rajkot and Balasinor, and Deputy Regional Cmsnr Gujarat State. She had issue, a son - see India (Wadhwan).
3) Maharaj Shri Kishoresinhji Chhatrasinhji Sahib. b. at Chattra Niwas Palace, Nandod, 18th December 1902, Panchgani High Sch and Rajkumar Coll, Rajkot. Rcvd: Delhi Durbar silver medal (1911). m. at Nandod, 1924, Rani Prem Kumari Sahiba. He d. 1936, having had issue, a daughter:
a) Rajkumari Rajkumari Bapuraja Ranjana Devi Sahiba [Rani Shri Ranjana Deviji Sahiba, of Baria]. b. 15th September 1926. m. Major Maharaj Shi Hirasinhji Ranjitsinhji Sahib (b. 11th February 1922), sometime Chief Cdt Baria State Forces, second son of Colonel H.H. Maharaol Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji Mansinhji Sahib, Maharaol of Baria, KCSI, by his second wife, H.H. Maharani Shrimant Dilhar Kunverbaiji Sahiba, elder daughter of Captain Kumar Shri Kiritsinhji Gambhirsinhji Sahib, of Rajpipla - see India (Baria).
4) Maharaj Shri Natwarsinhji Chhatrasinhji Sahib. b. at Chattra Niwas Palace, Nandod, 29th November 1911. Rcvd: Coron Medal (1937). m. at Rajpipla, 25th January 1932, Rani ... Sahiba, a sister of Thakore Shri Jitsinhji Bharatsinhji Solanki, Thakore Sahiba of Jhanor, in Thasra (a cousin of Maharana Shri Sir Chhatrasinhji Gambhirsinhji). He had issue, a daughter:
a) Rajkumari Rajkumari Bapuraja Hemlata Devi Sahiba [Rani Hemlata Devi Sahiba, of Poshina]. m. 16th February 1959, Raoji Shri Gopal Singh, Rao Sahib of Poshina (b. at Poshina, 18th July 1937), son of Raoji Shri Padam Singhji Lakhsman Singhji, Rao Sahib of Poshina, Sabarkanta, by his wife, Rathodji Rani Surya Kumari Sahiba. She d. at Rajpipla, 10th February 2015, having had issue, one son.
1) Rajkumari Bapuraja ... Kunverba Sahib. She d. at Nandod, 6th November 1889.
2) Rajkumari Bapuraja Takhta Kunverba Sahiba [Rani Shrimant Takhta Kunverba Sahiba, of Baria]. b. at Nandod, m. at the Fort, Rajpipla, 1905, as his first wife, Lieutenant-Colonel H.H. Maharaol Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji Mansinhji Sahib, Maharaol of Baria, KCSI (b. at Devgad, Baria, 10th July 1886; d. 7th September 1949), eldest son of Maharaol Shri Mansinhji Prithurajsinhji, Maharaol of Baria, by his first wife, Gohelji Rani Shrimant Shri Chandra Kunverba Sahiba, daughter of H.H. Maharana Shri Verisalji II Naharsinhji Sahib, Raja of Rajpipla. She d. at Baria, 4th January 1916, having had issue - see India (Baria).
3) Rajkumari Bapuraja Rajendra Kunverba Sahiba. b. at Nandod, and d. there of tuberculosis, 11th December 1912.
4) Rajkumari Bapuraja Padma Kunverba Sahiba [Maharani Shri Padma Kunverba Sahiba, of Chote Udepur]. b. at Nandod, m. there, April 1927, as his first wife, Rajaji Maharaol Shri Natwarsinhji Fatehsinhji Sahib, Raja of Chhota Udepur (b. at Chhota Udepur, 16th November 1906; d. at Lisbon, 15th October 1946), eldest son of Rajaji Maharaol Shri Fatehsinhji Motisinhji Sahib, Raja of Chhota Udepur, by his wife, the sister of Rana Shri Ranjitsinhji Sahib, Rana of Mandwa. She d.s.p. at Chote Udepur, 10th April 1928 - see India (Chote Udepur).
1915 - 1951 Lieutenant-Colonel H.H. Maharana Shri Sir Vijaysinhji Chhatrasinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Rajpipla, GBE (c 1.1.1945), KCSI (1.1.1925). b. at Chhatra Vilas Palace, Nandod, 30th January 1890, eldest son of H.H. Maharana Shri Sir Chhatrasinhji Gambhirsinhji Sahib, Raja of Rajpipla, KCIE, by his first wife, H.H. Wankanerwala Maharani Shri Phool Kunverba Sahiba, educ. Rajkumar Coll, Rajkot, and with the Imperial Cadet Corps, Dehra Dun. Succeeded on the death of his father, 20th September 1915. Invested with full ruling powers at the Fort, Rajpipla, 10th December 1915. Hon Capt IA 14/10/1919, and Hon Officer 27th Light Cavalry, prom Hon Maj 8/9/1932, and Hon Lieut-Col 10/9/1943. Granted the hereditary title of Maharaja and a permanent salute of 13-guns, in recognition of war services, 1st January 1921. Mbr Chhota Udepur Regency Council 1946-1948. Signed the instrument of accession to the Dominion of India, 15th August 1947. Merged his state into the Bombay Presidency, 10th June 1948 (Gujarat since May 1960). Mbr Royal Western India Turf Club, Willingdon Sports (Bombay), Cricket Club of India (Bombay), Poona Club 1931-1951, etc. Rcvd: Delhi Durbar silver (1911), Silver Jubilee (1935), Coron (1937), British War (1945), India Service (1945), and Indian Independence (1948) medals. m. (first) at Amleta, 2nd March 1911, H.H. Maharani Uday Kunverba Sahiba [Ratlam Basaheb] (d. 31st January 1961), daughter of Rao Bahadur Maharaj Shri Raghunath Singhji Sahib, of Amleta, under Ratlam. m. (second) at Panna, 18th June 1917, H.H. Maharani Padmini Kunverba Sahiba [Panna Basaheb] (b. at Panna, posthumously, 1902; d. 17th September 1983), younger daughter of Shri Shri Rao Raja Kuman Singh Ju Deo Sahib Bahadur, of Panna, by his second wife, the Nanhi Rao Rani Sahiba, daughter of Sawai Rao Sahib Bahadur Dewan Kamod Singh. m. (third) at the Fort, Rajpipla, 5th January 1940, H.H. Maharani Ella Devi Sahiba [Ella Devi Rajpipla] (b. 11th September 1905; d. in Northern Surrey, May 1995), née Atherton. He d. at The Manor, Old Windsor, Berks, 29th April 1951 (cremated at Rampura, on the banks of the Narmada), having had issue, six sons and five daughters:
1) H.H. Maharana Shri Rajendrasinghji Vijaysinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Rajpipla (s/o Maharani Uday Kunverba) - see below.
3) Maharaj Shri Pramod Singhji Vijaysinhji Sahib. b. at Vijay Palace, Nandod, 13th January 1917 (s/o Maharani Uday Kunverba), educ. Mayo Coll, Ajmer and Queen’s Coll, Cambridge (BA). Joined the Indian Administrative Service. Played in the Rajpipla Polo Team alongside father Maharana Vijaysinhji and brothers Yuvraj Rajendra Singhji and Maharaj Indrajeet Singhji. Rcvd: Coron Medal (1937). m. at Lakhtar, 10th December 1952, Rani Jayendra Kumari Sahiba (d. at Mumbai, 8th February 2015), daughter of Thakore Shri Indrasinhji Balvirsinhji Sahib, Thakore Sahib of Lakhthar, by his wife, Thakurani Shri Vijaya Kunverba Sahiba, daughter of Raolji Shri Takhatsinhji Keshrisinhji Sahib, Raol of Mansa. He d. at Bombay, 1st January 1980, having had issue, four daughters:
a) Rajkumari Bapuraja Yogeshwari Devi Sahiba [Thakurani Yogeshwari Devi Sahiba, of Khatipura]. b. at Bombay, 13th October 1953. m. at Jaipur, 6th December 1976, Thakur Shri Duleep Singh, son of Colonel Thakur Shri Harnath Singh, Thakur of Khatipura, under Jaipur. She d. at Gurgaon, 2001, having had issue, one son and twin daughters.
c) Rajkumari Bapuraja Durgeshwari Devi Sahiba [Mrs Balchander]. b. at Lakhtar, 10th April 1956. m. at New Delhi, 21st April 1980, Shri Rajagopalan Balchander, son of Shri M.P.Rajagopalan. She has issue, two daughters.
d) Rajkumari Bapuraja Krishna Kumari Sahiba [Kunwarani Krishna Kumari Sahiba]. b. at Bhubaneshwar, 25th September 1959. m. at Ahmedabad, 10th February 1989, Kunwar Shri Brijraj Singh Jadeja, son of Kunwar Shri Praveen Singh Umaid Singh Jadeja, of Dhrol. No issue - see India (Dhrol).
4) An unnamed Rajkumar. b. at Vijay Palace, Nandod, July and d. there, 11th August 1919 (s/o Maharani Padmini Kunverba).
5) Maharaj Shri Indrajeet Singhji Vijaysinhji Sahib.b. at Vijay Palace, Nandod, 19th September 1925 (s/o Maharani Padmini Kunverba), educ. Mayo Coll. Ajmer. Painter, farmer, keen polo player and renowned hunter. Played in the Rajpipla Polo Team alongside his father Maharana Vijaysinhji and brothers Yuvraj Rajendra Singhji and Maharaj Pramod Singhji. Presented Rajpipla Cup, polo tournament at the Indian Military Academy, Dehra Dun. Rcvd: Coron. Medal (1937). m. at Bombay, 27th May 1954, Rani Vina Kumari Sahiba (b. 3rd September 1932; d. 28th April 2014), daughter of Maharaj Kumar Sriniwas Prasad Singh, of Jagdishpur, Bhojpur, Bihar, sometime heir to the Dumraon Raj, by his wife, Sawai Maharaj Kumari Savitri Devi, second daughter of H.H. Maharaja Sawai Shri Punya Pratap Singh Bahadur, Maharaja of Ajaigarh. He d. at his farm in Bijnor District, UP, 11th July 1964, having had issue, two sons:
a) Maharaj Shri Indra Vikram Singhji Indrajeet Singhji Sahib [Teddy Rajpipla]. b. at Mussoorie, 29thJuly 1955educ. St Joseph’s Acad, Dehra Dun, St George’s Coll, Mussoorie, Hans Raj Coll, Delhi Univ, and the British Inst of Commerce, Bombay. Keen cricketer, captained cricket teams at school and college. Owner of garments manufacturing and export business 1978-1990, and publishing business since 1998. Freelance writer and assoc editor of “Cricket Samrat”(1999-2000), author of “Test Cricket - End of the Road?” (1992), “World Cup Cricket”(2002), “The Little Big Book of World Cup Cricket” (2007, edition II 2011), “The Big Book of World Cup Cricket” (2011), “A Maharaja’s Turf” (2011), “Crowning Glory” (2011), and “Don’s Century” (2011). m. at Dehra Dun, 21stMay 1981 (div.), Kunwarani Vandana Kumari Sahiba, daughter of Thakur Mahabir Singh, of Ajairajpura. He had issue, one son:
b) Maharaj Shri Indra Vadan Singhji Indrajeet Singhji Sahib. b. at Dehra Dun, 1st November 1957, educ. St Joseph’s Acad, Dehra Dun, St George’s Coll, Mussoorie, St Michael’s Sch, Patna, Hindu and Hans Raj Colls, Delhi Univ. Keen cricketer and soccer player. Executive in garments, tea gardens and tea export company. Painter and musician. m. at New Delhi, 21stFebruary 1982, Kunwarani Ratna Singh Sahiba, daughter of Wing Commander Jagdish Chandra Varma, late IAF. He has issue, one son and one daughter:
i) Rajkumar Shri Chandra Vadan Singhji Indra Vadan Singhji Sahib. b. at Duliajan, 3rdFebruary 1988, educ. Vidya Niketan, New Delhi and JIMS, New Delhi. Executive with Genpact India.
i) Rajkumari Bapu Raja Shubhangini Kumari Sahiba [Shubhangini Singh]. b. at New Delhi, 26thApril 1983, educ. Vidya Niketan, New Delhi and Wigan & Leigh Coll, New Delhi. Artist. Company executive.
6) Maharaj Shri Rajsinhji Vijaysinhji Sahib. b. at The Manor, Old Windsor, Berkshire, 21st November 1940 (s/o Maharani Ila Devi), educ. Westminister Sch. Journalist.
2) Maharajkumari Bapuraja Kusum Kunverba Sahiba [Maharani Kusum Kunverba Sahiba, Rani of Chota Udepur]. b. at Vijay Palace, Nandod, (d/o Maharani Uday Kunverba). m. at the Fort, Rajpipla, 5th December 1928, as his second wife, Maharaol Shri Natwarsinhji Fatehsinhji Sahib, Raja of Chote Udepur (b. 16th November 1906; d. at Lisbon, Portugal, 15th October 1946), eldest son of Maharaol Shri Fatehsinhji Motisinhji Sahib, Raja of Chote Udepur, by his wife, a sister of Rana Shri Ranjitsinhji Sahib, Rana of Mandwa. She d. 1981, having had issue, one son - see India (Chote Udepur).
3) Maharajkumari Bapuraja Mohini Kunverba Sahiba [H.H. Rajpiplawala Maharani Mohini Kunverba Sahiba, Maharani of Morvi]. b. at Vijay Palace, Nandod, 14th September1918;(d/o Maharani Padmini Kunverba).m. at the Fort, Rajpipla, 27th January 1932, as his first wife, H.H. Maharaja Shri Mahendrasinhji Lakhdhiraji Sahib Bahadur, Maharaja of Morvi (b. 1st January 1918; d. at Buckhurst Park, Ascot, Berkshire, 17th August 1957), fourth son of H.H. Maharaja Shri Sir Lakhdhiraji Waghji [Jilubha] Sahib Bahadur, Maharaja of Morvi, GBE, KCSI, by his third wife, H.H. Sarvaijawala Maharani Bai Sahib, daughter of Sarvaji Shri Bawaji Ranaji Sahib, of Ranigamand Datha. She d.s.p. at Morvi, 13th December 1993 - see India (Morvi).
4) Maharajkumari Bapuraja Chandra Prabha Kumari Sahiba [Rani Chandra Prabha Kumari Sahiba, of Nabha]. b. at Vijay Palace, Nandod, 11th November 1932 (d/o Maharani Padmini Kunverba). m. at Bombay, 1950, Maharajkumar Shri Gurbaksh Singh Sahib (d. November 1963), third son of H.H. Farzand-i-Arjumand, Aqidat-Paiwand-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia, Barar Bans Sarmur, Raja-i-Rajagan, Maharaja Shri Ripudaman Singh Malvendra Bahadur, Maharaja of Nabha, by his second wife, H.H. Maharani Sarojni Devi Sahiba, daughter of Major Sardar Prem Singh Grewal, of Raiparia, an officer in Hyderabad state service. She d. at Kuwait, 27th September 2012, having had issue, one son and two daughters - see India (Nabha).
5) Maharajkumari Bapuraja Premila Devi Sahiba. b. at The Manor, Old Windsor, Berks, 10th April 1949 (d/oMaharani Ila Devi), educ. Heathfield Sch, Ascot. Fashion model and businesswoman.